Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Date Night

I've gotten to the point that whenever I see I preview for a movie I think either, "I want to see that, I hope it's on the Daily Show" or "Man oh man, I sure hope that's not on the Daily Show." Though there have definitely been more of the latter (Tooth Fairy and Remember Me for example), Date Night was a movie I was truly looking forward to.

I love Steve Carell and Tina Fey, and I went into the movie with ridiculously high expectations. Though Date Night didn't quite reach them, it was still a very funny movie and worth seeing.

I'm sure you've seen the previews and know the premise, but for those who have been sitting in a cave for the past two months (and have just come back into the modern world and decided the first website they should check out is the Daily Shill) I'll give a quick summary. Carell and Fey play the Fosters, a couple whose marriage has gotten boring and predictable. During a date night, they take another couple's reservation, claiming that they are the Tripplehorns. This leads to the two being chased by bad guys who don't believe the Fosters when the argue that they are not really the Tripplehorns. Dangerous hijinks and hilarity ensue, and the Foster's marriage is spiced up in the process.

One of my worries, when I go to see a funny movie, is that the only funny bits were in the trailer. That is not the case for Date Night -- I found myself laughing out loud many times. Though the "let's talk about our marriage" moments that occurred a few times throughout the movie got a bit long and boring, I understand they were necessary to showing the Foster's progression as a couple (though maybe they could have been shorter).

I give Date Night a 4/5. It's funny, exciting, and not too long. Plus, the scene where Carell and Fey try to pole dance is, in itself, worth the price of admission.



And come back tomorrow for my review of Jim Wallis's book Comeback America. (Lies. The book is actually Rediscovering Values. Comeback America is by David Walker and I have not read it yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment