Thursday, December 30, 2010

More Malice

Snoop Dogg’s music is not my ideal form of entertainment (nor am I his ideal audience), but I approached his CD/DVD combo More Malice with an open mind. After all, I was just happy to have the chance to review it; I’ve been trying to get a copy for months, and I finally had it in my hands after traveling to the Livonia Public Library, who kindly let me check it out with my Chelsea Library Card (thanks, LVCC!). And finishing More Malice means I have completed the items promoted in the month of March, but also in the first quarter of the year. Progress! However, despite the open mind, listening/watching More Malice was not a particularly pleasant experience.

I began my review process by watching the DVD, which consisted of a movie (made by Snooop Dogg) that gives the story around the songs on Snoop Dogg’s previous CD, Malice N Wonderland. Before the movie began there was a fifteen minute behind-the-scenes feature of the making of the Malice N Wonderland movie. This was the best part of the entire More Malice package. In it, in addition showing their filming process, Snoop Dogg explained his inspiration behind the creation of the “Malice” story-- he wanted to create a superhero that black people could relate to. I love superhero stories, so I was excited to have something that’s up my alley.

However, when the movie began, I quickly found myself getting frustrated with the low quality of the storyline and writing. I wanted to know the back-story of Malice (How did he get the magic killing light embedded in his right hand? What was his motivation to become the savior of Wonderland? Was his secret identity Snoop Dogg, or was he just played by him). My rational self understands that you can’t have the kind of character development in a 40-minute movie created to highlight four Snoop Dogg songs, but it didn’t keep me from wanting more. Additionally, the DVD was disgustingly violent at times, and some of the songs weren’t well integrated with the story; For instance, “Gangsta Luv,” the song Snoop Dogg sang to rally the troops against Cain (the bad guy), heavily featured the lyrics “I’m kicken’ on these hos, do them like dominoes, I slam them on their back and tell them vamanos”-- not an inspiring call to arms.

After watching the DVD, which ends shortly after Malice turns to Wonderland’s citizens for support, I popped in the CD, thinking that it would continue the story (given the CD’s title). Maybe I didn’t fully understand the second meanings of Snoop Dogg’s songs (entirely possible), but I didn’t see how they related to the Malice storyline.

The CD is short, only 8 songs lasting for about a half hour, and three of the songs are new versions of songs from Malice N Wonderland (“We Want to Rock,” “Pronto,” and “Gangsta Luv”). A song new to the CD, “So Gangsta,” was laughable, as it did not sound “gangsta” in the slightest (not that I’m an expert of the definition). The song I liked best was “Pronto,” which was moderately catchy, but I didn’t like any of the songs enough to import them into my itunes.

I’m giving the More Malice package a 2/5. It wasn’t my thing, but if you’re a Snoop Dogg fan, give it a shot.

Watch Jon Stewart’s interview with Snoop Dogg

Buy the CD/DVD

This is probably my last review of 2010, but come back on Monday, January 3 for my midpoint progress report. I am halfway through the time I've allotted for my mission, and, surprisingly, nearly halfway through the items I need to review, as well.

Have a safe and happy new year, and thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment