Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Losers

I will admit from the outset that The Losers is definitely not my type of movie. That being said, I didn’t hate it. But I didn’t like it either.

Clay (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is the leader of a Special Forces unit made up of himself, Jensen (Chris Evans), Roque (Idris Elba), Pooch (Columbus Short) and Cougar (Oscar Jaenada). While on a mission, the five find themselves framed for a crime by a man they know only as Max. They are presumed dead and are hiding out in Bolivia when Aisha (Zoe Saldana) appears saying she will smuggle them back into the US if they will kill Max. They agree, and the majority of the movie is spent tracking the guy down.

The Losers seems to be like any typical action movie, though this is just a guess on my part. There’s fighting and guns and a heist. To me, though, these things are boring when there’s not much of a story to go along with it. It was nice that the characters’ motives for tracking Max were explained, but I would’ve liked to have a little more substance to the story. Of course, this probably wouldn’t fit well with the movie’s genre.

The Losers is based on a Vertigo comic of the same name. I’ve never read the comic, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I still appreciated the film’s attempt to represent the comic form. It took advantage of freeze frame images during battle sequences and extreme close-ups that brought to mind comic frames.

All in all, though, I didn’t enjoy The Losers. I’m giving it a 2/5. But if you’re an action movie fan, you might enjoy it.


Watch Jon Stewart’s interview with Zoe Saldana

Buy the DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment