Friday, July 9, 2010

Sex and the City 2 (Day of Reviews, Post 3)

I haven’t seen any episodes of Sex and the City. I haven’t seen Sex and the City the movie. But, I can no longer claim that I haven’t seen Sex and the City 2. And that is a sad thing.

Let me tell you, the movie is rough. It follows four rich ladies, Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and the uptight redhead (whose name I can’t remember…okay, I’ve looked it up: she’s Miranda) to Dubai, perhaps the most excessive place in the world. In it, they wear crazy clothes, ride camels, drink, have sex (and get arrested for it), buy shoes, and complain about how hard their lives are at home. It was sickening.

Perhaps I would feel differently if I had followed these characters for years, but I doubt that. A few of my friends are Sex and the City fans, and they disliked the movie as well. The movie is not funny, dialogue is not natural (though that could be blamed on the writing rather than the acting), and characters are not relatable.

The highlight of Sex and the City 2 was watching Liza Minnelli perform “Single Ladies,” but any joy from that was taken away by the stereotype-filled gay wedding where the dance took place.

As you might expect, I’m giving the movie a 1/5.

Watch Jon Stewart’s interview with writer and director Michael Patrick King

No comments:

Post a Comment